The brief for these alterations + additions was for:
- a new Family Room at the rear;
- a second storey with two Bedrooms and a Bathroom;
- the provision of wheelchair access, into the house from the front street, the rear lane and the existing Garage, for their young daughter; and
- to replace the existing steep and unsafe stair from street level up to the front door.
As is so often the case, the owners assumed that they would have to lose a downstairs room and some of the original decorative plaster ceilings because of the new staircase.
Our design sited the new second level directly above the existing Living/Dining rooms, with the staircase within the new Family Room extension. The new Bathroom is located directly above the existing Bathroom, thus providing direct access into the sewerage system.
By keeping the second storey back from the front:
- the additions are not visible at all from the front street, the existing main tiled roof ridge line is not affected;
- no existing habitable floor area is lost; and
- all the existing ceilings are retained.
The owners accepted our design and Council is currently processing a development application.